Summary: Direct Loan List of Publications
SUMMARY: Direct Loan List of Publication
For those of you who like to stay current with all of the
events and happenings of the Direct Loan Program, or
for those who don't know much about the current state of
the program and would like to learn more, we have put
together a current reading list of articles, reports and
other print materials about the program. The items
included on this list touch on a variety of issues
associated with the program and range in type from short
articles that appeared in major newspapers, to formal
studies conducted by independent program evaluators.
The list was developed with complete objectivity in mind
and contains material that support, as well as that
which is highly critical, of the program. A copy of the list
We thought these materials may be especially useful for
those of you preparing presentations for national, state
and local student aid conferences, as well as those of you
who are researching the program to make a participation
decision. As you can see from the list, a lot has
happened in the last six months.
To obtain a copy of any of the listed materials, or if you
have questions about the program, contact a direct loan
account manager in the regional office that serves your
school. The telephone numbers for direct loan account
managers are provided below.
If your school is located in:
CT, MA, ME, NH, RI or VT
NJ, NY, PR or VI
DC, DE, MD, PA, VA or WV
AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC or TN
IL, IN, MI, OH or WI
AR, LA, NM, OK or TX
IA, KS, MO or NE
CO, MN, MT, ND, SD, UT or WY
AZ, CA, HI or NV
AK, ID, OR or WA
In addition, the Direct Loan Taskforce members remain
available to help you and can be reached on
202-708-9951. As always, your questions and
comments are welcome.
to the Secretary
List of Recent Publications
- "Plans in Congress to Limit Direct-Lending Program
Fail to Curb Enthusiasm of Financial-Aid
Officers, " The Chronicle of Higher Education,
January 20, 1995.
- "Give It a Chance, Congress threatens to limit the
president's new student-loan plan,"
Newsweek, February 6, 1995.
- "Give direct loans a chance," Cincinnati Post, March
- "Direct-loan program has won over OU," Columbus
Dispatch, March 27, 1995.
- "Direct Loan Program is Good Deal for All," Chicago
Sun-Times, March 29, 1995.
- "Student Loans: Which is Reform'?" Washington
Post, April 13, 1995.
- "Give direct student loans a chance," Chicago
Tribune, April 18, 1995.
- Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT),
- Education Daily, March 17, 1995.
- Macro International Inc., May, 1995.
- General Accounting Office, "Direct Student Loans:
Selected Characteristics of Participating
Schools," Cornelia Blanchette testimony before the
Senate Subcommittee on Education, Arts and
Humanities, March 30, 1995.
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION PRESS
- "Direct Loans Work For Students, Schools and
Taxpayers," February 14, 1995.
- "Direct Student Loans Receive Clean' Audit," March
- "451 Additional Schools Will Go Direct Lending in
1996-97," April 25, 1995.
REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT
- 77th Annual Meeting of the American Council on
Education, February 14, 1995.
- American Association of Community Colleges, April
Before the Senate Subcommittee on Education, Arts and
Humanities, March 30, 1995.
- Senator Paul Simon (D-IL), opening statement.
- Senator Claiborne Pell (D-RI), opening statement.
- Cornelia Blanchette, GAO.
- Steven McNamara, Assistant Inspector General for
Audit, Department of Education.
- Lynn Fawthrop, Chair, Advisory Committee on
Student Financial Assistance.
- Rudolph Penner, Managing Director, Barents Group.
- Madeleine Kunin, Deputy Secretary, Department of
- Larry Tait, President, Student Government
Association, Florida A&M University.
- James Belvin, Director of Financial Aid, Duke
- Joseph Russo, Director of Financial Aid, Notre Dame
- Donald Honeman, Director of Financial Aid,University
- Earl Dowling, Director of Financial Aid, Iowa State
Before the House Subcommittee on Oversight and
Investigations, May 23, 1995.
-Congressman Thomas Pattie (R-WI).
-Congressman Ernest Istook (R-OK).
-Senator Paul Simon (D-IL).
-Congressman Bart Gordon (D-TN).
-Phyllis Hooyman, Director of Financial Aid, Hope
-L. Diane Ryan, Director of Financial Aid, California
State University at Northridge.
-Otto Reyer, Associate Vice Chancellor For Student
Services and Director of Financial Aid,
University of California Irvine.
-Lynn M Fawthrop, Chair, Advisory Committee on
Student Financial Assistance
-Richard Pierce, President and Chief Operating Officer,
Maine Education Services.
-Advisory Committee on Student Financial Assistance
Letter to Senator James Jeffords (R-VT),
March 17, 1995.
-Leo Kornfeld, Senior Advisor to the Secretary, letter to
Senator James Jeffords (R-VT),
Department of Education response to Advisory
Committee letter, April 21, 1995.