ChapterTitle: Perkins DataPrep Technical Update
July 21, 1999
This information is intended for the person in your organization who is responsible for providing Federal Perkins Loan data to NSLDS. If that is not you, please forward this update to the appropriate person.
The enclosed diskettes contain the new Windows version of the Perkins DataPrep software. This software replaces the current DOS version, or any previous versions of the Windows based software, and should be installed and used as soon as possible. Monthly submittals received after September 3, 1999 must be generated using the new Windows version of DataPrep.
The Data Provider Instructions (DPI) have been fully revised and describe in detail how to install and run the new software. You can obtain a draft copy of the DPI from the Departments web site at www.ifap.ed.gov now, and we will inform you when the final version is available for download.
There are significant changes and enhancements for Perkins data providers, and you should review the new DPI carefully. However, we did preserve the existing file layouts, so you do not need to change your extract process. Some of the more significant changes are:
· There is no delta processing. Instead, you will submit a full portfolio each month.
· The Third Level Error Report that NSLDS returns to you is now a data file. The software can print this file as a report using any selection criteria or sort parameters you choose.
· First level edits have been removed from DataPrep. However, the software will check for file formatting errors and domain errors, such as an invalid date in a date field.
· Reasonability and Y2K edits have been added to protect NSLDS from receiving non-compliant data.
· You can populate the Extract file with your own unique loan identifier. This will help you to identify loans in the Error Report and aid in the identification of duplicate loans.
If you have any questions, please call the NSLDS Customer Service Center at (800) 999-8219.