Maintained for Historical Purposes

This resource is being maintained for historical purposes only and is not currently applicable.

Section G "Releases and Signatures"

AwardYear: 1998-1999
Edition: PostSecondary
Part: 3 - - Completing The FAFSA
SectionTitle: Section G "Releases and Signatures"

PageNumbers: 55-56

Section G "Releases and Signatures"

Purpose: This section permits a student to list up to six schools that he or she is interested in attending. The Department will send the student's information to all the schools listed in Section G. A student should not write in the name of a school if they don't want the school to receive their application information. A student should list each school's Title IV School Code.

Questions 90-101 ask a student to list up to six schools to which he or she wants the FAFSA data and results sent. They also ask a student to select a housing code that best describes the type of housing he or she expects to live in for each of the schools listed.

[[This file contains the graphic of FAFSA Questions 90-101 in Portable Document Format (PDF). It can be viewed with version 3.0 or greater of the free Adobe Acrobat Reader software.]]

For a student who wants information sent to more than six schools, there are several ways to make sure all the schools can receive his or her data.

1. The student may list six schools on the application, wait for the SAR, and then correct the SAR by replacing some or all of the original six schools with other schools. After the application is processed, the student may also send a letter to the CPS requesting changes in schools; in this case, all six schools from the original application will be replaced with the schools the student lists in the letter. Corrections made at the same time this is done or subsequently will not be sent to the schools that are replaced with new schools.

2. The student may call the FSAIC (on the toll line, at 1-319/337-5665) to request changes to the schools (institution codes) to which the SAR is sent, or to request a change in his or her address. The student must receive his or her SAR before requesting these changes.

3. If a school that is not listed on the SAR participates in EDE, that school may use the student's DRN number (printed on the SAR) to get the student's data electronically. That school would then replace one of the schools listed in the original application.

The CPS will send data to only six schools at a time for one student. For example, if the student originally listed six schools on the application and then replaced all six with new schools by changing the SAR, only the second six schools would get data from this correction. If the student then made other corrections, only the second set of schools would get the corrected data.

For a school to receive a student's data, the student must list the school's name and Title IV School Code or address. The FAFSA will be processed faster if the student writes in the Title IV School Code and the name of the school. These codes are not in the FAFSA instructions; they are provided in the "Title IV School Code List" that the Department sends to high schools, colleges, and public libraries each fall around the same time the FAFSAs are distributed. The Department also makes this list available on the web at

Although parental information must be provided for a dependent student, a high school counselor or a postsecondary school's FAA may sign the application in place of the parent(s) if:

the parent(s) is not currently in the United States and cannot be contacted by normal means,

the current address of the parent(s) is not known, or

the parent(s) has been determined physically or mentally incapable of providing a signature.

The signature of a counselor or FAA serves as a mechanism to get the application through the processing system. The counselor or FAA must provide his or her title in parentheses next to his or her signature and briefly state the reason (only one reason is needed) why he or she is signing for the parent(s). Also, if both parents are unable to sign the application, the counselor or FAA need sign only once in place of both parents. The counselor or FAA assures a minimum level of credibility in the data submitted. However, the counselor or FAA does not assume any responsibility or liability in this process. If the FAA finds any inaccuracies in the information reported, he or she should direct the student to send the SAR through the normal correction process or should submit corrections through EDE.

Last Modified: 10/14/1998