Maintained for Historical Purposes

This resource is being maintained for historical purposes only and is not currently applicable.

Section H "Releases and Signatures"

AwardYear: 1997-1998
Edition: PostSecondary
Part: 3 - - Filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
SectionTitle: Section H "Releases and Signatures"

PageNumbers: 80-81

Section H "Releases and Signatures"

Purpose: This section permits a student to list up to six schools
that he or she is interested in attending. The Department will send the
student's information to all the schools listed in Section H. Students
should not write in the name of a school if they don't want it to
receive their application information. Students should list each
school's Title IV code.

Questions 92-103 ask a student to list up to six schools to which he
or she wants the FAFSA data and results sent. They also ask a
student to select a housing code that best describes the type of
housing he or she expects to live in for each of the schools listed.

For a student who wants information sent to more than six schools,
there are several ways to make sure all the schools can receive his or
her data.

1. The student can photocopy the SAR or request duplicates and
send copies of the SAR to additional schools. (Note that a
photocopy of the SAR does not serve as a final documentation of
eligibility.) Schools that do not receive data electronically will
receive the data only when the student gives them a copy of the
SAR; they will not receive the data directly from the CPS.

2. The student may list six schools on the application, wait for the
SAR, and then correct the SAR by replacing some or all of the
original six schools with other schools. After the application is
processed, the student may also send a letter to the FAFSA
processor requesting changes in schools; in this case, all six
schools from the original application will be replaced with the
schools the student lists in the letter. Note: Other corrections
made at the same time this is done will not be sent to the first set
of schools that are replaced with new schools.

Beginning in 1997-98, the student also has the option of calling
the Federal Student Aid Information Center (on the toll line, at
319-337-5665) to request changes in the schools (institution
codes) to which the SAR is sent, or to make a change in his or
her address. The student must receive his or her SAR before
requesting these changes, and must get his or her Personal
Identification Number (PIN) from the SAR and provide it to the
phone representative at the toll number.

3. If a school that is not listed on the SAR participates in EDE, that
school may use the student's PIN number (printed on the SAR) to
get the student's data electronically. That school would then
replace one of the schools listed in the original application.

The CPS will send data to only six schools at a time for one student.
For example, if the student originally listed six schools on the
application and then replaced all six with new schools by changing
the SAR, only the second six schools would get data from this
correction. Furthermore, if the student then corrected the new SAR
and changed all six schools again, only the third set of schools would
get the corrected data. The first and second sets of schools would not
receive the corrected data.

Keep in mind that for a college to receive a student's data, the student
must list the college's name and Title IV institution code or address.
The FAFSA will be processed faster if the student writes in the Title
IV code and the name of the college. These codes are not in the
FAFSA instructions; they are provided in the "Title IV Institution
Code List." The Department sends this Title IV code list to high
schools, colleges, and public libraries each fall around the same time
the FAFSAs are distributed, and also makes it available on the World
Wide Web at

Although parental information must be provided for a dependent
student, a high school counselor or a FAA may sign the application
in place of the parent(s) if:

- the parent(s) is not currently in the United States and cannot be
contacted by normal means,

- the current address of the parent(s) is not known, or

- the parent(s) has been determined physically or mentally
incapable of providing a signature.

The signature of a counselor or financial aid administrator serves as a
mechanism to get the application through the processing system. The
counselor or financial aid administrator must provide his or her title
in parentheses next to his or her signature and briefly state the reason
(only one reason is needed) why he or she is signing for the
parent(s). Also, if both parents are unable to sign the application, the
counselor or financial aid administrator need only sign once in place
of both parents. The counselor or financial aid administrator assures
a minimum level of credibility in the data submitted. However, the
counselor or financial aid administrator does not assume any
responsibility or liability in this process. If the financial aid office
finds any inaccuracies in the information reported, the student would
be directed to send the SAR through the normal correction process.

Last Modified: 08/23/1998