Maintained for Historical Purposes

This resource is being maintained for historical purposes only and is not currently applicable.

General eligibility requirements for student aid

AwardYear: 1997-1998
Edition: PostSecondary
Part: 1 - - General information about postsecondary opportunities
SectionTitle: General eligibility requirements for student aid

PageNumbers: 13

General eligibility requirements for student aid

Eligibility for SFA programs is based on financial need rather
than academic achievement. To have his or her EFC determined, a
student must fill out and file the FAFSA. Unlike admissions
applications, the FAFSA is sent to a federal government processing
center that is independent of postsecondary schools. The student's
information is entered into the Department's computer system, which
then calculates the student's official EFC. The application process for
financial aid is described in Part 2 of this handbook, and completion
of the FAFSA is discussed in Part 3.

Additionally, to be eligible for SFA program funds, a student must

- have a high school diploma or a GED, receive a passing score on
an independently administered examination approved by the
Department, or meet other standards established by your state and
approved by the Department;

- enroll as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate

- be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen;

- have a valid Social Security Number (the one exception to this
requirement--for students from the Republic of the Marshall
Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of
Palau--is described on page 58);

- make satisfactory academic progress; and

- sign statements on the FAFSA regarding Educational Purpose and
Overpayments and Defaults.

Also note that a student must enroll at least half time to be eligible
for Direct Loans or FFELs.

In the past, students were required to sign a Statement of Registration
Status (for Selective Service registration). This statement is no longer
required. However, students who must register for the Selective
Service may use the FAFSA to do so; one of the questions on the
FAFSA (number 105 under Section H) asks if the student wants the
Selective Service to register him.

Last Modified: 08/20/1998