Maintained for Historical Purposes

This resource is being maintained for historical purposes only and is not currently applicable.

Filing a financial aid application (summary)

AwardYear: 1997-1998
Edition: PostSecondary
Part: 2 - - The application process for financial aid
SectionTitle: Filing a financial aid application (summary)

PageNumbers: 48-49

Filing a financial aid application

To apply for federal student aid...
...fill out a FAFSA either on paper or electronically

Prospective students should complete the FAFSA and send it to the
processor identified on the accompanying envelope. Some students
may be able to file the FAFSA electronically through EDE or
FAFSA Express.

To apply for the first time, using dependency override... aid administrator must authorize override on FAFSA

If it appears that the applicant should be considered an independent
student because of special circumstances, you have the authority to
approve a dependency override on the FAFSA.

To correct application information...
...use Part 2 of the SAR or EDE

If the applicant discovers errors on the SAR, he or she must correct
those errors on Part 2 of the SAR and return it to the FAFSA
processor. (Corrections also can be made electronically using EDE.)
The information on the SAR may only be corrected to what was
accurate on the date the application was signed.

To update dependency status, household size, or number in
postsecondary education...

...use Part 2 of the SAR or EDE

Unless the change is the result of a change in the student's marital
status, a student must report any change in dependency status during
the school year, and students selected for verification must update
household size, and number of family members in postsecondary
education as of the time of verification. This information may be
updated by using Part 2 of the SAR or through EDE if the school
uses the EDE system. Household size and number in postsecondary
education must be updated only if the student's application is
selected for verification.

To override dependency status after first application has been filed...
...a financial aid administrator must authorize the override on the
SAR or through EDE

If an applicant has already filed an application but you determine that
he or she should be considered an independent student because of
special circumstances, the administrator may override the
dependency status on the SAR or through EDE.

If the family has special circumstances...
...the financial aid administrator may make individual adjustments

If you believe that the family's circumstances warrant a change in the
need analysis, you may use professional judgment to adjust the
student's cost of attendance or data elements on which the student's
EFC is calculated (by using the SAR or through EDE).

Last Modified: 08/20/1998