Maintained for Historical Purposes

This resource is being maintained for historical purposes only and is not currently applicable.

AwardYear: 1996-1997
Edition: PostSecondary
Part: 2 - - The application process for financial aid
SectionTitle: How to apply

PageNumbers: 25-26

A student MUST apply for federal student aid by using the FAFSA
or the Renewal FAFSA. For 1996-97, the Department mailed
Renewal Applications to students who applied for federal student aid
in 1995-96 and who met certain conditions--for instance, their Social
Security Numbers and addresses were valid, they were not in default,
and so forth. These students received Renewal Applications in the
mail or from their schools between December 1995 and January
1996. Students may use this application rather than the FAFSA to
apply for aid for 1996-97. Students must file FAFSAs even if they
are only applying for a Federal Direct Loan or a Federal Family
Education Loan (FFEL).

A student does not have to pay a fee if he or she fills out only the
FAFSA. However, a student may be required to fill out additional
questions on a separate form in order to be considered for some state
or institutional aid, and a fee may be charged for processing these
additional questions. Note that the FAFSA has state data elements
that a number of states use to award aid. Check with your state
agency to find out if it requires applicants to submit additional
information to receive state aid.

Students may apply for aid electronically through the Electronic Data
Exchange (EDE) or FAFSA Express. A student who files through
EDE should first complete a paper FAFSA to take to the school.
Students filing through either EDE or FAFSA Express will need
copies of their income tax returns (and their parents' returns), W-2
forms, current bank statements, and records of any stocks, bonds,
and other investments and assets used in completing the electronic

For institutions or schools that participate, EDE allows financial aid
administrators or students to enter the data required for the FAFSA
using a computer. After the financial aid administrator reviews the
entered data, the information is sent electronically to the central
processing system (CPS). (The student's signed FAFSA must be kept
on file by the school.) The CPS then processes the data and sends the
school an electronic ISIR and the student a one-part SAR
Information Acknowledgement containing the student's information
and the results of the eligibility calculation.

Bear in mind that if the student is submitting an electronic
application or electronic correction application, you must obtain the
student's signature on a completed paper application or on the "echo
document" printed from an electronic FAFSA that is filed through
EDE, and you must keep it in your files even if the student does not
receive federal student aid or does not attend your institution.

If a student completes the FAFSA using FAFSA Express, he or she
transmits it to the CPS. If a printer is available, the student should
print, sign, and mail a signature page to the FAFSA processor. The
CPS processes the data and sends the student a SAR; if the student
does not submit a signature page within 21 calendar days, the CPS
prints and mails a rejected SAR (one without an EFC) to the student.
The SAR must then be signed and returned to the FAFSA processor.

Each year, schools are also able to participate in the Renewal
Application process. Beginning in the fall of each year, a school may
request that Renewal Applications for students who listed that school
on their applications for the previous year be printed by the CPS and
mailed in bulk to the school. The school may request applications for
all students who listed that school or for selected students from that
group. The school is then responsible for distributing the Renewal
Applications to the students. Alternatively, schools participating in
EDE may request the electronic Renewal Application records for
their students at any time during the school year. The school can then
print out Renewal Applications and provide them to students. The
student must provide new financial and some nonfinancial
information but can leave the other information the same if it has not

For questions about Renewal Applications, please call CPS Customer
Service at (319) 339-6642.

Please note that Dear Colleague Letters and Action Letters sent to
schools each year provide further information on deadlines and

Last Modified: 06/25/1998