Maintained for Historical Purposes

This resource is being maintained for historical purposes only and is not currently applicable.

Submitting An Initial Application

AwardYear: 1994-1995
Edition: PostSecondary
Part: 2 - - The Application Process for Financial Aid
SectionTitle: Submitting An Initial Application

PageNumbers: 24-26

Students must complete the application accurately and legibly, and
must send it in on time to the address specified on the application.
(See the last page of this Part for a complete list of deadlines.)
Please caution students that there are NO EXCEPTIONS to the
deadlines. It is important to note that states and schools often set
earlier deadlines in awarding aid from other programs, including the
federal campus-based programs (Federal Perkins Loans, Federal
Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and Federal Work-
Study). School's deadlines should be made available well in
advance of applying for financial aid.

If you could give students only one piece of advice as they complete
an application, it would be to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. This
statement cannot be overemphasized because most errors are caused
by students misunderstanding what information is being requested.
Errors on the application mean that corrections will have to be
processed, which may mean that students who are otherwise eligible
will not receive aid because their corrected information did not get
to the school by the deadline, which is June 30, 1995, or the last day
of enrollment for 1994-95, whichever comes first. Note that this
deadline applies both to the receipt of a SAR or the day the ISIR is

It is important for the student to save all records and all other
materials used in completing an application because the student may
need them later if either the Department or the student's school
selects the student for a process called "VERIFICATION." This
simply means that the student will have to prove that what was
reported on the application is correct. Many schools conduct their
own form of verification.

In most cases, the student will deal only with one processor when
applying for aid. This is known as the "SINGLE-PROCESSOR
ARRANGEMENT." In any case the student sends the completed
FAFSA to one of the FAFSA processors, which in turn enters the
information that the student has reported on an application and
sends it to the CPS . Once the information is processed, that same
FAFSA processor will send a SAR to the student. Note that the
student only has contact with the FAFSA processor -- the CPS is
invisible to the student.


In a single processor relationship, the student only has contact with
the FAFSA processor. The CPS is invisible to the student. The
student files the application with the FAFSA processor, and receives
a Student Aid Report from that same processor.

[[The illustration on page 25 is currently unavailable for viewing.
Please reference your paper document for additional information.]]

For 1994-95, the financial aid administrator may either use the
FAFSA, the Correction FAFSA, the SAR or EDE to override the
student's dependency status, for example, when circumstances make
a student independent rather than dependent. The Correction
FAFSA or Correction Application is identical in design to the
regular FAFSA, except the word "correction" is printed on the first
page of the FAFSA booklet as well as on the application form itself.

If a student has unusual circumstances that make him or her
independent, the financial aid administrator may use professional
judgment to override the dependency status determined in Section E
of the application. Have the student fill out Sections A and E of a
FAFSA or a Correction FAFSA in the usual manner. However, tell
the student to fill out the independent student information on the
remainder of the application, even though the instructions direct the
student to fill out the blue-shaded areas as a dependent student. To
override dependency status, the financial aid administrator (FAA) or
an authorized member of the school's financial aid staff must
complete the "School Use Only" box, found in Section H.

[[The illustration on page 26 is currently unavailable for viewing.
Please reference your paper document for additional information.]]

For 1994-95, you will enter "I" in the dependency override box, fill
in your school's Title IV Institution Number and sign. Note that
dependency status can only be overridden when changing the
student's status from dependent to independent.

Last Modified: 02/19/1998