Maintained for Historical Purposes

This resource is being maintained for historical purposes only and is not currently applicable.

Campus-Based Programs: Common Elements - Selecting Recipients

AwardYear: 1997-1998
EnterChapterNo: 5
EnterChapterTitle: Campus-Based Programs: Common Elements
SectionNumber: 1
SectionTitle: Selecting Recipients
PageNumbers: 9-11

All students receiving campus-based aid must meet the general
eligibility requirements listed in Chapter 2, Section 1. Additional
student eligibility requirements under each campus-based program
are discussed in Chapters 6 through 8.

A student enrolled as an undergraduate, graduate, or professional
student is eligible to receive assistance from the Federal Perkins
Loan and Federal Work-Study (FWS) programs. Only undergraduate
students are eligible to receive Federal Supplemental Educational
Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs).

[[Written selection procedures]]
In choosing its aid recipients, a school must develop written selection
procedures that are uniformly applied and that are kept on file at the
school. A school must make campus-based funds reasonably
available--to the extent of available funds--to all eligible students
who demonstrate financial need. (Two of the campus-based
programs, the Federal Perkins Loan and FSEOG programs, require
eligible students to have EXCEPTIONAL financial need.) A school
is reminded that no payment of a campus-based award can be made
if the student did not receive an official Expected Family
Contribution (EFC).


A student who has earned a bachelor's or first professional degree is
eligible to receive aid from the Federal Perkins Loan or FWS
program to pursue an ADDITIONAL undergraduate degree.
However, a student who has earned a bachelor's or first professional
degree is NOT eligible to receive an FSEOG to pursue another
undergraduate degree.


A school may award a Federal Perkins Loan and/or FWS to a student
who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment at an eligible school on at
least a half-time basis in a program that is required by a state for a
professional credential or certificate for employment as an
elementary or secondary teacher in that state. A student is not
allowed to receive aid to cover optional courses that he or she may
elect to take for professional recognition or advancement or
additional optional courses recommended or required by the school.
The school should document that the courses the student enrolls in
are required by the state for teacher certification.

A student enrolled in a teacher certification program may be
considered either an undergraduate or graduate student, depending
on the school's policy. That decision is left to the school. Information
about Perkins Loan limits for students in teacher certification
programs is included in Chapter 6, Section 2.


If a school's FSEOG allocation, FWS authorization, or Federal
Perkins Loan federal capital contribution (FCC) is directly or
indirectly based in part on the financial need of less-than-full-time or
independent students and if the need of all of these students exceeds
5% of the total need of all students at the school, then the school
must OFFER to those students at least 5% of that allotment for
FSEOG, 5% of the authorization for FWS, or 5% of the dollar
amount of the loans made under the Federal Perkins Loan Program.

Determining whether a school must offer at least 5% of the
allotment, grant, or dollar amount of the loans for the 1997-98 award
year to these students is based on eligible aid applicant data filed for
the 1995-96 award year. For subsequent award years, this
requirement will be governed by data filed for the award year that
precedes the application year by two years.

[[Correspondence students]]
Part-time students include correspondence students. To be
considered enrolled in a program of correspondence study, the
student must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program and must have
completed and submitted the first lesson. A school that offers funds
to part-time students on the home campus must also offer funds to
part-time students on its eligible branch campuses.

[[Exceptions to requirement of offering aid]]
A school is not required to offer aid to less-than-full-time or
independent students

- under the Federal Perkins Loan Program if the school is not
receiving any FCC for 1997-98 or

- under any campus-based program for which the school received a
1997-98 allocation of $5,000 or less.

If a school's allocation for the 1997-98 award year is NOT based on
the need of less-than-full-time or independent students, the school
MAY offer part of each allotment to those students but is not
required to do so.


A student who enrolls as a regular student in an eligible program
during a special session, such as summer school, may receive
campus-based aid if he or she meets the same general eligibility
requirements that apply to a student enrolled in a regular session.
General eligibility requirements are discussed in Chapter 2 and in 34
CFR 668.32.

[[Periods of nonattendance]]
If a student is NOT enrolled during the special session, the student is
not eligible to receive campus-based aid during the period of
NONATTENDANCE, except in the case of an FWS job, which may
be awarded only if the student attended the school during the
preceding term or has been accepted by the school for the subsequent
term. (Refer to Chapter 7, Section 4, under "FWS Employment
During Periods of N


[[Late disbursement regulations removed from 34 CFR 674.16(g)
and 34 CFR 676.16(e)--revised regulations in 34 CFR 668.164(g)]]
Regulations regarding late disbursements of Perkins Loans and
FSEOGs have been revised. A school may make a late disbursement
of a Perkins Loan and/or an FSEOG to an ineligible student if the
student became ineligible solely because the student is no longer
enrolled at the school for the award year. Before the student dropped
out, the school must have received a Student Aid Report (SAR) or
Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) for the student with
an official EFC and have awarded the student the Perkins Loan or
FSEOG. The school may make that late disbursement only if the
funds are used to pay for educational costs that the school determines
the student incurred for the period in which the student was enrolled
and eligible, and the school must make the late disbursement no later
than 90 days after the date the student became ineligible because he
or she was no longer enrolled.

[[Refunds and repayments]]
If a student drops out AFTER receiving an award from the Federal
Perkins Loan Program or the FSEOG Program, but before the end of
the payment period, the school determines the amount of any refund
and repayment as discussed in Chapter 3, Section 4.

Last Modified: 03/29/2000