Posted Date:June 26, 2017
|Author:||Lisa DiCarlo, Director, Student Experience Group, Federal Student Aid|
Subject: Issue Alert - CPS Reprocessing on June 27, 2017 to Correct Verification Selection Issue
We are alerting all schools that the Central Processing System (CPS) will conduct a reprocessing on June 27, 2017 to update 2017-2018 student records we have determined should have been selected for verification but were not due to an issue in the CPS. This reprocessing will affect approximately 50,000 student records that were processed between October 1, 2016 and June 26, 2017.
See the sections below for more background information and reprocessing details regarding this CPS issue.
We recently identified an issue with our verification selection logic in the CPS that incorrectly excluded 2017-2018 student records with blank responses to numeric financial fields from consideration for verification.
After conducting further research, we have determined that the CPS should treat blank responses to financial questions as zeroes, which will result in student records being selected for verification that would otherwise have been excluded.
Several methods exist for schools to identify records resulting from the June 27 reprocessing:
- Reprocessed Institutional Student Information Records (ISIRs) will be sent under the IGSG18OP message class.
- Student Aid Reports (SARs) and ISIRs will include SAR comment code 172, which states “This SAR was produced because we processed a change to your information based on information reported to us by another agency or as a result of a processing system change. Review your SAR to see what effect, if any, this change has had on your application, and call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) if you have any questions.”
- ISIRs produced as a result of the reprocessing will include a value of “03” for the Reprocessed Reason Code (ISIR field #230).
- ISIRs produced as a result of the reprocessing will include a value of “Y” for the Student is Selected for Verification field (ISIR field #375)
- The FAA Information page in Student Inquiry on the FAA Access to CPS Online Web site will display “03 - Reprocessed for verification issue” for the Reprocessing Code for the transaction resulting from the reprocessing. The Reprocessing Reason Code 03 will not display in FAA Access to CPS Online until after we implement updates to the site on September 24, 2017.
Federal Student Aid understands that this reprocessing will result in additional verification effort for financial aid administrators and regrets the inconvenience.
If you have any questions regarding this message, contact CPS/SAIG Technical Support at 800/330-5947 (TDD/TTY 800/511-5806) or by e-mail at CPSSAIG@ed.gov.
You can also post questions to FSATECH. FSATECH is an electronic mailing list for technical questions about Federal Student Aid systems, software, and mainframe products. For more information on subscribing to FSATECH, go to: https://www2.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/services/fsatechsubscribe.html