Posted Date:April 4, 2014
|Author:||Lisa DiCarlo, Director, Student Experience Group, Federal Student Aid|
Subject: Overview of April 2014 Flat File Enhancement to Identity Verification Results Functionality on FAA Access to CPS Online Web Site
On April 13, 2014, we will expand the Identify Verification Results feature we added to the 2014-2015 version of the FAA Access to CPS Online Web site (faaaccess.ed.gov) to allow users to upload flat files containing verification results for multiple students.
The Identify Verification Results feature, which provides financial aid administrators (FAAs) with a tool to submit required verification results for students flagged for possible identity fraud (Verification Tracking Flag of V4 or V5), currently only allows manual entry submission of individual student verification results.
We anticipate the April 2014 enhancement, which will allow the upload of up to 2,000 students in each flat file, will reduce data entry effort significantly for FAAs, particularly those reporting results for larger student populations.
For more information regarding the 2014-2015 identity verification results process, see the November 13, 2013 electronic announcement posted to the Information for Financial Aid Professionals (IFAP) Web site.
Identity Verification Results Files
The flat files of verification results you prepare for upload to the FAA Access to CPS Online Web site will require a minimal amount of data per student and can be created using a basic text editor, such as Notepad. You may also have a mainframe or other 3rd party system at your school that can generate these data files.
Each line of data in your file should contain one student record only. Each line must only contain the student’s nine-digit Social Security Number (SSN), the 2-character Name ID (typically the first two letters of the student’s last name), and a 1-digit Identity Verification Results value. Valid values for the Identity Verification Results field are:
1 = Verification completed in person, no issues found
2 = Verification completed remotely, no issues found
3 = Verification attempted, issues found with identity
4 = Verification attempted, issues found with HS completion
5 = No response from applicant or unable to locate
For example, a record in your file for a student with the last name of Smith and an Identity Verification Results value of “1” would appear as follows (where “X” equals an SSN digit):
Do not include hyphens or empty lines in your file. If the student does not have a last name, enter two spaces (do not otherwise use spaces in your file). Limit the number of students per file to a maximum of 2,000 records.
Procedures for Uploading Identity Verification Results Files
To use the new flat-file upload feature on the FAA Access to CPS Online Web site, you will follow these steps:
1) Log into the FAA Access to CPS Online Web site.
2) Select Identity Verification Results from the FAA Main Menu. Enter the TG Number for your Destination Point and select the school year you want to report (currently, 2014-2015 is the only available selection). Select Next.
3) On the Results Entry Options page, click Load Results File.
4) On the Load Results File page, locate and select your upload file, then click Upload Results.
5) If your upload is successful, you are returned to the Results Entry Options page, which will indicate the number of records you uploaded.
6) (Optional) Click Remove Results if you want to remove records you uploaded previously.
7) When ready, click Submit to send all identity verification results data to Federal Student Aid. Note: You should complete the submission process after each flat file upload. Each successful flat file upload replaces the data you added previously.
Upon successful completion of the submission, you will receive a confirmation page listing the identity verification results you submitted. Select Print This Page if you want a record of your submission to retain for your records (you cannot return to this confirmation page later to review the results you submitted previously).
If you have any questions regarding the enhancement to the FAA Access to CPS Online Web site described in this message, contact CPS/SAIG Technical Support at 800/330-5947 (TDD/TTY 800/511-5806) or by e-mail at CPSSAIG@ed.gov.