Maintained for Historical Purposes

This resource is being maintained for historical purposes only and is not currently applicable.

(General) Subject: Action Required: Annual DUNS Number and TIN Registration Renewal with Central Contractor Registration Database

Posted Date:March 23, 2011

Author: William Leith, Service Director, Program Management, Federal Student Aid

Subject: Action Required: Annual DUNS Number and TIN Registration Renewal with Central Contractor Registration Database

The Department of Education first notified schools in a January 4, 2010 letter that all schools must register their Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number and Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) with the federal government’s Central Contractor Registration (CCR) database.

This announcement is a reminder that all schools must complete the registration confirmation of their DUNS number annually.

In order to prevent delays in the receipt of Title IV program funds, we encourage all schools to complete their annual confirmation of their DUNS number and TIN with the CCR database. A 60 day and 30 day reminder e-mail will be sent to the Point of Contact (POC) and alternate POC for your school prior to your school’s renewal deadline.

To complete the annual confirmation, a school should go to the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) Web site and search for each DUNS number associated with programs for which the school expects to receive funds from the Department. The URL for the CCR Web site is

Note: As explained on the CCR Web site, there is currently a delay in processing new registrations and updates. The delay is expected to be resolved by the end of March; however, it is important to allow sufficient time to register or renew your school’s registration.

Additional information about the annual renewal requirements can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) located on the CCR Web site.

Other Important Reminders:

  1. If a school’s Payee DUNS number is different than its Grantee DUNS number, it must register both numbers with the CCR database.

  2. If a school has multiple Grantee and Payee DUNS numbers, it must register all of them with the CCR database.

  3. If a school needs to register one or more DUNS numbers, it should allow 3-5 business days to complete the registration process.

  4. If a school needs a new TIN, it should allow 2-5 weeks for the TIN to become active.

Contact Information

If you have questions about this announcement or need help in determining your school’s DUNS number, contact the G5 Hotline at 888/336-8930. You may also e-mail

If you need assistance with the CCR registration process, contact the CCR Federal Service Desk at 866/606-8220.

Last Modified: 03/22/2011