Maintained for Historical Purposes

This resource is being maintained for historical purposes only and is not currently applicable.

(General) Subject: Action Required: DUNS Number and TIN Registration with Central Contractor Registration Database By March 31, 2010

Posted Date:January 28, 2010

Author: William Leith, Service Director, Program Management, Federal Student Aid

Subject: Action Required: DUNS Number and TIN Registration with Central Contractor Registration Database By March 31, 2010

As explained in a January 4, 2010 letter that was mailed and e-mailed to all grantees and payees from the Department of Education’s (the Department’s) Office of the Chief Information Officer, all schools must register their Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number and Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) with the federal government’s Central Contractor Registration (CCR) database by March 31, 2010.

This action is required because beginning in April 2010, the Department will process and disburse all federal funds through the Department of Treasury rather than the Federal Reserve. While this change will not impact how or when payments will be delivered to a school’s bank account, it is very important that schools register their DUNS number and TIN by the deadline.

In order to prevent delays in the receipt of Title IV program funds, we encourage all schools to confirm that their DUNS number and TIN are registered with the CCR database. If a school has not previously registered its DUNS number and TIN, it should do so as soon as possible, but no later than March 31, 2010.

DUNS Number and TIN Registration Reminders

It is important for a school to confirm and, if applicable, register its DUNS number and TIN with the CCR database as soon as possible. Doing so by the March 31, 2010 deadline will ensure the timely and uninterrupted delivery of Title IV program funds to the school.

To determine whether a DUNS number is already registered with the CCR database, a school should go to the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) Web site and search for each DUNS number associated with programs for which the school expects to receive funds from the Department. The URL for the CCR Web site is

  • If the DUNS number is currently registered, the school should validate that the TIN associated with the DUNS number is correct.
  • If the DUNS number is not currently registered, the school should register it as soon as possible.


  1. If a school’s Payee DUNS number is different than its Grantee DUNS number, it must register both numbers with the CCR database.

  2. If a school has multiple Grantee and Payee DUNS numbers, it must register all of them with the CCR database.

  3. If a school needs to register one or more DUNS numbers, it should allow 3-5 business days to complete the registration process.

  4. If a school needs a new TIN, it should allow 2-5 weeks for the TIN to become active.

Contact Information

If you have questions about this announcement or need help in determining your school’s DUNS number, contact the G5 Hotline at 888/336-8930. You may also e-mail

If you need assistance with the CCR registration process, contact the CCR Federal Service Desk at 866/606-8220.

Last Modified: 01/27/2010