Posted Date:September 2, 2009
Author: William Leith, Service Director, Program Management, Federal Student Aid
Subject: Reminder--October 1, 2009 Deadline for Submitting FISAP
We want to remind schools of the upcoming deadline for submitting the Fiscal Operations Report for 2008-2009 and the Application to Participate for 2010-2011 (FISAP) for the Federal Perkins Loan (Perkins Loan), Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and Federal Work-Study (FWS) programs. As announced in the "Notice of the 2009-2010 Award Year Deadline Dates for the Campus-Based Programs," published in the Federal Register on March 17, 2009 (74 FR 11362), the date by which a school must submit this FISAP is Thursday, October 1, 2009.
All schools that wish to request funding under the Campus-Based programs for the 2010-2011 Award Year, and all schools that had Campus-Based expenditures for the 2008-2009 Award Year, are required to electronically submit a FISAP via the eCampus-Based (eCB) Web site. The eCB Web site allows a school to complete and submit its FISAP online, receive real-time validation edits, and access prior-year data to assist in completing the FISAP. For information about accessing the FISAP on the eCB Web site, refer to the June 30, 2009 Electronic Announcement posted on the Information for Financial Aid Professionals (IFAP) Web site.
The deadline for electronic submission of the FISAP is 11:59 P.M. (ET) on October 1, 2009. Transmissions must be completed and accepted by 12:00 midnight.
- Critical Program Deadline--Submitting the FISAP by the October 1, 2009 deadline is a critical program requirement. To comply with this program requirement and ensure Campus-Based funding for the 2010-2011 Award Year, a school must 1) electronically submit its FISAP via the eCB Web site and 2) mail the signed hard copy of the combined certifications and signature pages for its FISAP to us as instructed on the eCB Web site.
- Consequences for Failing to File the FISAP--2008-2009 funding will be reduced to zero ($0) for school that received Campus-Based funds for 2008-2009 but fail to file the FISAP.
- Updated School Contact Information Required--It is important for the timely receipt of notifications that a school ensure the accuracy of its contact information, including the e-mail address. A school can update its contact information when submitting the FISAP or by selecting "Setup," then "Contact Info" on the eCB Web site. All Campus-Based program notifications are sent via e-mail.
- Additional Information Required for Underuse Penalty Waiver Application--If a school is returning more than 10 percent of its Campus-Based funds, a waiver for the underuse of funds may be requested. If a school applies for a waiver of the penalty for the underuse of funds in Part II, Section C, Line 6 of the FISAP, it must provide a written explanation of the circumstances on the "Additional Information" page. Select "Additional Information" from the menu on the left side of the FISAP page. Then, as explained in the on page II-2, select edit number 02090 from the drop down box on the "Additional Information" page. Provide the name of each program for which a waiver is being requested and explain the circumstances that were beyond the school's control and are not expected to recur.
- Consistency is Key--Make sure the information provided concerning expenditures of 2008-2009 award amounts reported as expended for that program on t08-2009 award amounts reported as expended for that program on t, if a school's FWS authorized amount was $50,000 and the school reported an expended amount of $40,000 on the FISAP, the school's award will be closed out at the expended amount of $40,000. If the school has a different amount in G5, we will assume that the correct expenditures are the amounts certified by the Chief Executive Officer in Part I, Section B of the FISAP.
- Click "Submit"--Remember that saving data into the FISAP online is not the same as submitting the FISAP. To meet the deadline requirement, the FISAP must be submitted by 11:59 P.M. (ET) on October 1, 2009. Transmissions must be completed and accepted by 12:00 midnight. Data can be entered and saved as a school works through the form, but it is not actually submitted until the school user clicks on "Submit" located on the left side of the page.
- FISAP Available for Edit Corrections through December 15, 2009--Once a FISAP is submitted, the working copy is available for correction by the school until 11:59 P.M. (ET) on December 15, 2009. Transmissions must be completed and accepted by 12:00 midnight. Data can be entered and saved as a school makes corrections through the form. If corrections are made, remember to submit them.
- Online Help is Available 24/7--If additional help is needed, the eCB Web site has several documents that can be accessed online as well as a series of frequently asked questions set up in question and answer format.
- FISAP Training--Instructor-led, online training sessions on the FISAP are now available. Additional information can be found in Dear Colleague Letter ANN-09-24 posted on the IFAP Web site.
If you have any questions about the FISAP submission deadline, contact the Campus-Based Call Center at 877/801-7168. Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M. until 8:00 P.M. (ET). You may also e-mail CBFOB@ed.gov.