Publication Date: June 20, 2008
Author: William Leith, Acting General Manager, Application, Operations and Delivery Services, Federal Student Aid
Summary: CCRAA Operational Implementation Guidance (CPS, COD System, and EDESuite) -- Implementation of Additional 2008-2009 COD System Functionality
Posted on 06-20-2008
During the period June 27-28, 2008, we plan to update the 2008-2009 Common Origination and Disbursement (COD) System with functionality that supports Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant origination and processing functions as well as regulatory and legislative changes that impact William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program origination and processing functions. The effective date for the TEACH Grant Program and the Direct Loan changes is July 1, 2008.
In this announcement, we provide the following important information related to the implementation:
- COD Batch Processing Suspension and Web Site Outage Information
- COD System Processing Function Enhancements and Modifications
- Contact Information
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we complete this important activity.
COD Batch Processing Suspension and Web Site Outage Information
In order to install the necessary system and Web site changes--
- We will suspend COD batch processing beginning at 8:00 P.M. (ET) on Friday, June 27, 2008. Records submitted after 8:00 P.M. (ET) will be held and processed after 10:00 P.M. (ET) on Saturday, June 28, 2008.
- The COD Web site will be unavailable from 8:00 P.M. (ET) on Friday, June 27, 2008 until 10:00 P.M. (ET) on Saturday, June 28, 2008.
Additionally, for Direct Loan participants--
- The Direct Loan Electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN) Web site will be unavailable from 8:00 P.M. (ET) on Friday, June 27, 2008 until 10:00 P.M. (ET) on Saturday, June 28, 2008.
Individuals starting the process by 7:00 P.M. (ET) on June 27, 2008 will be able to complete their MPNs before the Web site becomes unavailable. Individuals attempting to access the Web site after the cutoff time will see a Web site maintenance message and will not be able to start the process or retrieve an existing MPN.
COD System Processing Function Enhancements and Modifications
With one exception, we have posted or will soon post communications on the Information for Financial Aid Professionals (IFAP) Web site that fully explain the processing function enhancements and modifications we will implement during the June 27-28, 2008 period. Three lists that outline these communications follow for your reference. Please refer to these communications for complete information.
Note: The modification that is not specifically addressed in any of our posted communications is explained below.
Reference Communications -- Posted to Date
- COD Common Record Schema Version 3.0a (June 4, 2008) -- This communication provides information about the implementation and use of a new version of the COD Common Record Extensible Markup Language (XML) Schema -- 3.0a. While there is some flexibility in when a school may begin to use schema version 3.0a, it is important to note that beginning June 28, 2008, all schools will receive COD Web activity responses from the COD System in COD Common Record XML Schema Version 3.0a. A school that does not begin to use schema version 3.0a will be unable to import COD Web Activity responses. The communication explains how a school may change its "Web Activity Response Option" for each program on the COD Web site's School Options Information screen until it begins to use schema version 3.0a.
- Additional/Updated TEACH Grant Operational Implementation Information (June 19, 2008) -- This communication provides a comprehensive overview of the operational implementation of the TEACH Grant Program with emphasis on processing functions that will be operational for July 1, 2008.
Reference Communications -- Posted Week of June 23, 2008
- Electronic Announcement that provides additional information about the student aspects of the TEACH Grant Program that will be operational for July 1, 2008.
- Direct Loan Bulletins that provide information about the implementation of new versions of the Direct Subsidized Loan and Direct Unsubsidized Loan Master Promissory Note and the Direct PLUS Loan Application and Master Promissory Note.
- Direct Loan Bulletin that provides information about the implementation of Direct Unsubsidized Loan annual loan limit increases for some (but not all) students, effective for loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008.
- Direct Loan Bulletin that summarizes all Direct Loan Program changes effective July 1, 2008.
Reference Communications -- Posted Week of June 30, 2008
- Electronic Announcement that informs EDExpress users of our posting of an updated version of the EDExpress 2008-2009 software (EDExpress for Windows 2008-2009, Release 3.0) that supports the COD System changes implemented during the June 27-28, 2008 period.
Note: We strongly encourage all EDExpress users to upgrade to the new version of the software. A specific disadvantage to not upgrading to Release 3.0 is that the EDExpress user will be unable to successfully import all COD Web Activity responses, which, as explained above, will be sent by the COD System in COD Common Record XML Schema Version 3.0a beginning June 28, 2008. Complete information will be provided in the Electronic Announcement.
Change to Request Post Deadline Processing Screen
As explained in a May 20, 2008 Electronic Announcement posted on the IFAP Web site, final regulations that were published on November 1, 2007 amended the provisions that allow schools to make late disbursements of Federal student aid authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA). The two modifications to the late disbursement provisions in 34 CFR 668.164(g) are as follows:
In accordance with the late disbursement modifications, we will update the COD Web site’s Request Post Deadline Processing screen to reflect the 180-day late disbursement period effective July 1, 2008. Specifically, there will be only one item related to late disbursement in the "Explain why you will need Extended Processing" drop-down menu. The item will read "Late Disb
- 1) The period for making a late disbursement is increased from 120 days to 180 days.
- 2) The provision that allows schools to request approval from the Department of Education
- to make late disbursements beyond the late disbursement period is eliminated.
If you have any questions about this announcement, contact the COD School Relations Center at 800/474-7268 for Grants or 800/848-0978 for Direct Loans. You may also e-mail CODSupport@acs-inc.com.