Publication Date: August 15, 2006
Author: G. Kay Jacks, General Manager, Application, Operations and Delivery Services, Federal Student Aid
Posted on 08-15-2006
The Central Processing System (CPS) is pleased to announce the posting of the draft Specifications for Software Developers for the 2007-2008 cycle.
The 2007-2008 Specifications for Software Developers is available in PDF format on the Information for Financial Aid Professionals (IFAP) Web site, located at http://ifap.ed.gov. For readers who are viewing this message electronically on IFAP, the document is provided as an attachment to this message. Otherwise, to view, print, or download the document from IFAP, go to http://ifap.ed.gov and click on “Application Processing Materials” from the right side of the home page.
The specifications will also be available in the next several days from the Federal Student Aid Download (FSAdownload) Web site, located at http://fsadownload.ed.gov. To locate the specifications for viewing or downloading from the FSAdownload home page, select the “Technical References and Guides” link, then select “2007-2008” under “CPS Test System.”
There are several significant changes to the specifications. The following is a general summary of the substantive changes that have been made to each section of the specifications.
Valid Field Definitions
1) The following two data elements were deleted and replaced with a new single data element called “Type of Aid Interested in Receiving” (listed below in #2):
2) The following data elements were added:
3) Fields were reordered and renumbered to match the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
4) Date Fields incremented.
1) Dates have been updated in the applicable edits.
2) Active Duty Military question added to independent edit (1014).
1) No changes have been made to the Complete Assumption edits.
Simplified Needs Test
1) Edits added to use new means-tested federal benefit questions (3001, 3005, 3009, 3013, 3017). Subsequent edits renumbered.
Complete Reject Edits
1) Dates incremented in rejects A and B.
1) STX rate revised for AR, MO, and OR for parents of dependent students and independent students with dependents.
2) STX rate revised for CA, IN, HI, ME, and UT for dependent students and independent students without dependents.
3) SST, IPA, EA, ANW, APA, and AAI rates and tables updated.
5) Alternate EFC adjustment updated.
Please note the CPS will not complete testing of these specifications until January 1, 2007. Software developers should be prepared to receive updates to the specifications until that time.
If you have questions related to the specifications, please contact Teri Hunt, ORC Macro International, by e-mail at Teri.Hunt@orcmacro.com or at 301/572-0263.