Publication Date: August 19, 2003
Author: General Manager: FSA Schools Channel
Summary: Processing of 1999-2000, 2000-2001, 2001-2002 Pell Grants by COD
Posted on 08-19-2003
TO: All Destination Points
FROM: The Federal Pell Grant Program
RE: COD Will Now Process 1999-2000, 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 Pell Grants
As of Monday August 18, 2003, student level and batch level data from 1999-2000, 2000- 2001 and 2001-2002 has been migrated from the Recipient Financial Management System (RFMS) to the Common Origination and Disbursement System (COD). COD will now do all processing for these prior years. The migration of data and the additional functionality of COD complete the retirement of the Recipient Financial Management System (RFMS).
We have made every attempt to minimize the transition from RFMS to COD for these years. Schools needing to process in these years can continue to send files in the same message classes and will have enhanced functionality by using the COD Web site. It will no longer be necessary to maintain two passwords to access data from two different systems and web pages. All the data from 1999-2000 to the present will be available on www.cod.ed.gov. (See http://www.ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/0701RFMScloseout.html).
Additional items of note:
· Batches and data requests for 1999-2000, 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 that have been submitted by schools since July 31, 2003 have now been processed by COD and will be acknowledged and released as soon as post implementation review during the week of August 18th confirms that processing has properly occurred. The response time will then be the same as for current year processing.
· Data requests, including Year to Date and Reconciliation files for 1999-2000, 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 will appear on the Web as processed but will be withheld until they have also been reviewed. Once approved they will be released promptly.
· Once prior year data is migrated, we expect that a number of students will be associated with more than one SAR ID. If that occurs and a student has exceeded 100% of total Pell Grant eligibility used in an award year, Multiple Reporting Records (MRRs) will be produced to affected schools. The current POP logic that automatically reduces disbursements to zero in 30 days when the student’s disbursements exceed 100%, however, will NOT be implemented for 1999-2000, 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 at this time. Additional guidance on how to handle this information will be forthcoming.
· The COD web site now displays the previous Pell Grant (RFMS) Gaps number in the Entity ID field. This is identified as the “Previous GAPS Pell” number in the Entity ID search tool throughout the COD web site. This new feature allows you to search using a GAPS Award number from the 1999-2000, 2000-2001, 2001-2002 Award Years.
· Requests for Year to Date, Reconciliation File, MRRs and the Electronic Statement of Account (ESOA) for all years, including 2002-2003 and 2003-2004, may be made from the COD web site, or by submitting the appropriate award year batch data request message class to COD via SAIG. You will receive the requested report in the corresponding award year format. (You no longer have to call COD School Relations to request these reports.)
· After September 30, schools will be able to request Post Deadline processing approval (also known as Administrative Relief) for the 2002-2003-award year on the COD Web site. Additional information about 2002-2003 Pell Grant Award Year deadline processing will be published in the next few weeks.
If you have any questions about this announcement or Pell Grants processing by COD, call 1-800-474-7268 or e-mail email@example.com. If you are in need of access to the COD web site, refer to the posting on IFAP on how to obtain access: http://ifap.ed.gov/cod/0318Schoolaccess.html. Please consult the COD Processing Updates that are posted daily to the COD Web site for ongoing information about COD processing.
Thank you for your continued support as we implement additional functionality into the COD System.