Publication Date: April 2003
Author: General Manager: FSA Schools Channel
Summary: Beta Testers Needed for DL Tools, Version 3.0.
Posted on 04-18-2003
TO: All Direct Loan Participants
FROM: � U.S. Department of Education
RE:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Beta Testers Needed for DL Tools, Version 3.0
The U.S. Department of Education invites Direct Loan participants to be beta testers of the upcoming Direct Loan (DL) Tools for Windows, Version 3.0.Â The beta test is scheduled to start May 5, 2003 and run through May 16, 2003.
DL Tools is part of the EDESuite of software products and provides the following functionality for Direct Loan schools:
1) Rebuild loan and disbursement data in EDExpress using an automated process
2) Compare the SAS and/or 732 reports to loans and actual disbursements recorded in EDExpress or an external file, and/or compare the reports to the DL Tools Cash Database
3) Print the SAS and/or 732 reports in readable formats
4) Track cash receipts (drawdowns) and returns of excess cash for Direct Loan
This release of DL Tools was developed to process data for multiple cycles.Â Version 3.0 contains Rebuild and Cash Management functionalities for the 2000-2001, 2001-2002, 2002-2003, and 2003-2004 cycles, and Compare functionality for the 2001-2002, 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 cycles.
All Direct Loan schools can use the Compare and Cash Management functionalities.Â The Rebuild process can be used by schools to rebuild Direct Loan module records in the EDExpress database.Â DL Tools has the same "look and feel" as EDExpress.
Beta test participants will download the software from an FTP site along with detailed test procedures.Â Participants are then asked to replicate their typical use of the software in a mock-productional environment, report any problems encountered, and submit a summary report detailing their testing experience for ED analysis.
If you are interested in being considered as a beta test site for DL Tools Version 3.0, please send an e-mail to CPSWAN@NCS.COM to the attention of "DL Tools Beta Testing" and provide the following information:
1) School name and address
2) School type (4-year public university, 2-year private college, proprietary/trade school, etc.)
3) Primary and Secondary testing contact names, phone and fax numbers, and e-mail addresses
4) TG# identifier
5) Windows operating system version(s) and PC environment (network/standalone)
6) Network type and version, if applicable
7) Number of years participating in Direct Loan program
8) Direct Loan features/tools you currently use in EDExpress (please provide specific details, such as External Add, MPN print, etc.)
9) Do you use EDExpress alone or in combination with mainframe or a 3rd party software for Direct Loan processing?
10) FTP download capability (i.e., can you upload/download files from an FTP server?)
11) Your school's average number of Title IV applicants per year
The Department and CPS/WAN Technical Support will select participants with a wide variety of processing environments to ensure the most diverse and thorough testing of the software is performed.
We will call or e-mail all interested schools by April 30, 2003.Â If your school is selected, further information will be provided at that time.
We thank you for your interest in helping make DL Tools a superior software product and we look forward to hearing from you.