Publication Date: July 17, 2002
Author: General Manager: FSA Student Channel
Summary: 2002-2003 Direct Loan Technical Reference June Change Pages
Posted on July 17, 2002
TO: All Destination Points
FROM: U.S. Department of Education
RE: 2002-2003 Direct Loan Technical Reference June Change Pages
The Department is pleased to announce that the 2002-2003 Direct Loan Technical Reference (June Version), which consists of the June 2002 set of change pages as well as the entire updated document, has been posted on the U.S. Department of Education's Student Financial Assistance Download (SFAdownload) Web site (located at ).
The Direct Loan Technical Reference provides programmer specifications and record layouts for postsecondary institutions participating in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program that need to design software systems to interface with ED's software for Direct Loan data.
The document is posted in both PDF and Word formats. The PDF version of the entire document is bookmarked for your convenience. When printing individual files, print the File Naming Conventions file first, as it explains how to assemble the technical reference.
To download this document:
1) Go to FSAdownload.ed.gov.
2) Click on the "References and Documentation" link on the left side of the page.
3) Scroll down to "Direct Loan Technical Reference." Underneath it you will find links to various years; you should click on the link to 2002-2003.
4) Once on the Direct Loan Technical Reference 2002-2003 (June 2002) page, you can select Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat format for each component of the Technical Reference. Each is a separate download, although you may download the entire document in Adobe Acrobat format by clicking on the link labeled "Full Download." The full download is not available in Microsoft Word format.
5) Right-click on the Adobe Acrobat or Microsoft Word link to view a short context menu.
6) If you're using Microsoft Internet Explorer, left-click on "Save Target As," then navigate to the folder where you wish to save the file. If you're using Netscape, left-click on "Save Link As," then navigate to the folder where you wish to save the file.
7) Once the file has been saved, open the saved file in the appropriate program (Acrobat or Word) to view and print the document.
The updated version of the 2002-2003 Direct Loan Technical Reference is also available on the Department's IFAP Web site (located at ifap.ed.gov). Click on the "Publications by Topic" link, scroll past the bold heading "Title IV WAN/Electronic Data Exchange," click on the link to "Direct Loan Information (EDE)," then scroll down past the bold heading "Direct Loan Technical Reference" to the link labeled "2002-2003" to the left of the words " 2002-2003 Direct Loan Technical Reference - Custom Layouts (Revised in June)."
If you have any questions regarding the information contained in this document, please contact CPS/WAN Technical Support at 800/330-5947 or via e-mail at CPSWAN@NCS.COM.