Publication Date: March, 2001
Author: NSLDS | National Student Loan Data System
Summary: Increased NSLDS Postscreened ISIRs
Posted on March 9, 2001
Date: March 9, 2001
TO: Schools Participating in Title IV Aid Programs
FROM: U.S. Department of Education
SUBJECT: Increased NSLDS Postscreened ISIRs
Recent changes implemented to increase the accuracy and completeness of loan data received from Debt Collection Services (DCS) may generate more NSLDS Postscreening ISIRs.
These changes will correct many of the loan status issues that schools and students have had with DCS held loans reported to NSLDS. For example, if a student had a loan held by DCS that was really DP (Defaulted, Paid in Full), but reported on NSLDS as DU (Defaulted Unresolved), it will now be reported on NSLDS correctly as DP. In the past, the student appeared to be ineligible based on codes shown on ISIR Prescreening and the school or student had to request a letter from DCS stating that the loan was paid in full. This is no longer necessary.
As a result of these changes, NSLDS expects to see a rise in the number of students that will be Postscreened in the next cycle on March 12, 2001. As a reminder, the following can identify NSLDS Postscreening ISIRs:
- System Generated Indicator (ISIR field #135, position 554) will equal "N"
- Comment Code (ISIR field #259) will include comment code 004
- System Generated message class: SYSG01OP
- System Generated Indicator (ISIR field #135, positions 600) will equal "N"
- Comment Code (ISIR field #261) will include comment code 004
- System Generated message class: SYSG02OP
If you have any questions, please contact the NSLDS Customer Service at 1-800-999-8219 or via email at NSLDSCOE@Raytheon.com.