Publication Date: 02/28/2001
Author: General Manager: SFA Student Channel
Summary: Availability of EDExpress for Windows 2001-2002, Version 7.1, Target Release Date - March 2, 2001 COB
Posted on February 28, 2001
TO: All Destination Points
FROM: U.S. Department of Education
RE: Availability of EDExpress for Windows 2001-2002, Version 7.1,
Target Release Date - March 2, 2001 COB
The U.S. Department of Education is pleased to announce the release of EDExpress for Windows 2001-2002, Version 7.1. This version contains Direct Loan functionality for the 2001-2002 cycle.
Version 7.1 is available on the Department's fsadownload Web site, located at http://fsadownload.ed.gov/index.htm. The EDExpress 2001-2002 Installation Guide and the Version 7.1 Cover Letter are also available on the SFAdownload Web site. Both documents contain important information you should review after downloading the software.
Version 7.1 is available on the SFAdownload Web site in two formats. You can download the entire software in one file, called EDExpress71.exe, or you can download the software in nine separate installments, which can be copied to a network drive or diskettes. Please review the download and installation instructions in the Installation Guide for further information.
You must have Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, or Windows 2000 as your PC workstation operating system in order to run EDExpress Version 7.1. Other system and network requirements are outlined in the Installation Guide.
Version 7.1 is an upgrade to Version 7.0. Version 7.0 must be installed prior to upgrading to Version 7.1. Version 7.0 is also available for download from the SFAdownload Web site.
Before upgrading, ensure you have a valid, reliable back-up of your current production 2001-2002 EDExpress database (Expres12.mdb). This step is extremely important! You should also run a database repair and database compact (in that order) via the Tools | Utilities menu before installing Version 7.1.
To upgrade from Version 7.0 to Version 7.1, select the Custom install option during your standalone or workstation installation, and mark the checkbox for any modules you use (so module fixes can be installed). Do NOT mark the "Database" checkbox unless you are performing a first-time installation or want to overwrite your Version 7.0 database. Remember, if you choose to overwrite your database, all data previously entered is lost.
If you receive any prompts during the installation indicating an existing file was found and asking if you want to overwrite, click "Yes."
After you upgrade from Version 7.0 to Version 7.1, reboot your PC, then log on to EDExpress to allow the software to perform a one-time only database update. This update loads important changes and fixes to your database structure.
If you are running EDExpress in a network environment, you should first complete ALL of your workstation installations on all relevant production PCs, rebooting each PC as you finish the install, then access the software from ONE designated workstation to allow the database update to perform successfully.
NOTE: If you have not installed Version 7.0 on your system, you can proceed directly to a full standalone or full network server/workstation installation of Version 7.1. You do not need to have Version 7.0 installed to perform a full installation of Version 7.1.
In addition to revisions to help text for Global, Application Processing, and Packaging functionality, the following configuration management issues are being resolved by Version 7.1:
1) CM #3198: ISIR comment codes 047 and 170 will display the most current, correct text on printed ISIRs.
2) CM #3201: List - Processed ISIRs has been updated to eliminate commas from EFC values displayed on the report.
3) CM #3229: Highlight flags will correctly print (when required) for ISIR fields 45 (Student Worksheet B), 46 (Student Worksheet C), 60 (Father’s SSN), 61 (Father’s Last Name), 62 (Mother’s SSN), 63 (Mother’s Last Name), and 79 (Parent’s Worksheet B).
4) CM #3240: Text has been added for ISIR comment codes 005 and 056 and updated for ISIR comment code 058.
5) CM #’s 3255 and 3376: Text has been updated for ISIR comment codes 059, 084, 161, 142 and 144.
6) CM #’s 3270 and 3391: App Express Query help for the Prisoner Match Flag has been updated to reflect correct valid values and current description text.
7) CM #3343: Initial Application values entered for Parents’ Worksheets B and C will export correctly.
8) CM #3368: An error in the greater-than-9-months calculation for EFC Formulas 1 and 4 has been corrected. The software will now use an alternate AAI (Adjusted Available Income) offset of 3530 instead of 3930.
9) CM #3389: Certification text for ISIR and FAFSA print reports has been updated to match CPS paper forms and the standalone Renewal Application software’s print output.
10) CM #3401: Schools with more than 100 Fund Codes established in Version 7.0 Packaging Fund Maintenance setup were receiving a "Dr. Watson" Windows error when attempting to award funds manually or using Packaging multiple entry. This was determined to be an issue with EDExpress grid entry, and has been fixed globally so it will not occur in Version 7.1.
11) CM #’s 3408 and 3409: Prior Year Demographic Data import will now create the student Name ID field in the software database Demo table using the first two characters of the Student’s Last Name field.
If you need any assistance connecting to the SFAdownload site or downloading EDExpress in single or multiple file format, please contact Title IV WAN Customer Service at 800/615-1189 or via e-mail at T4WAN@NCS.COM.
If you need assistance with the installation or use of EDExpress once downloaded from the SFAdownload Web site, please contact CPS Customer Service at 800/330-5947 or via e-mail at CPS@NCS.COM.
If you have technical questions about our SFA systems and software, you may want to subscribe to our e-mail listserv, SFATECH. For more information about SFATECH, including how to subscribe, visit the SFA Technical Support Web site at http://www.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/sfatech/.