Summary: America Reads Tutoring Support Program - National Satellite Teleconference
Author: OPE - Office of the Assistant Secretary for OPE
Posted on April 9, 1999
An America Reads Tutoring Support Program Delivering Effective Tutor Training
A Free National Satellite Teleconference Monday, 26 April, 1999 1:30-3:30pm ET
Presented by the U.S. Department of Education and the University of Vermont
Join us for this exciting educational event!
Whether you are just beginning to create a reading tutor program, or already have one well underway, this program will help you and your organization develop and strengthen processes for your unique situation. You'll join hundreds of colleagues at colleges and universities, as well as community-based organizations and schools involved in America Reads programs.
* Legislative History and Update by Carol H. Rasco, Director, America Reads Challenge, and program moderator
* Presentation by Dr. Dorothy Strickland, on what research says about effective voluntary tutoring of challenged/at-risk readers
* Case study presentation and panel discussion about effective Pre-Service training models
* Assessing the resources of your programs' coordinator, including using AmeriCorps/ VISTA volunteers
* Assessing training options for your program
* Case study presentation and panel discussion about In-Service training models
* Managing a training program
* Evaluating other training resources
* Customizing training for your school
* Retaining and encouraging student tutors
* Video case studies and voices from the field
* Interaction with national experts: bring your questions!
* Facilitated panel discussion
Our Dynamic Panelists Include:
* Mal Coles, Atlantic Area Manager for the Corporation for National Service, will discuss ways you can maximize the involvement of AmeriCorps*VISTA volunteers and other CNS programs
* Jane Mekkelsen, Lecturer in the Elementary Education Teacher Education Program in the Department of Education at the University of Vermont and UVM's America Reads Coordinator, will talk about different models of training for different levels of student commitment
* Dr. Alicia Moreyra, Project Director, America Reads! Miami Reads! and Reading Supervisor, Miami-Dade County Public Schools, FL led the effort to form a college consortium that places over 200 Federal Work-Study tutors in her region's elementary schools. She will talk about the tutorial guide she developed that is presently an intervention model for school districts in multiplestates.
* Interact with national experts and organizational leadership
* Learn and create practical tools that will work for your school
* Listen to inspired stories
* Share your successes
Save the date!!
Watch the web site for more details: http://www.uvm.edu/~uvmreads and follow links to the teleconference
For program information, send e-mail to Andrea Grayson at email@example.com For registration requests, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org/ tel: 800.639.3188 / fax: 802.656.3891